Saturday 19 March 2011

Sanriku coast part 3

In many places settlement is on a very narrow piece of flat land with
mountains directly behind.

Checking nets takes a lot of co-operation
A lot of activity at a little fishing port on the coast side of the tsunami gates

Lots of little boats

I've already posted this pic - but these are tsunami gates for the village
above. With 10-12 metre waves they wouldn't hvae been nearly high enough.
I am not sure how much damage this village sustained - sadly, nor do I remember
the name of it.

2 comments:

J.D. Gibbard said...

Is this another kind of tsunami gate"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katakanadian/4891494491
This was on the Tanesashi cloast north of Taneichi last summer.

Cecilia said...

It is definitely a tsunami gate. But also doubles as keeping out high tides as well. (I needed to do a double check on Taneichi). There are more tsunami gates on the Pacific side - probably more prone to higher tides. I came by this yesterday which I found quite interesting. I am quite interested in the efficacy of the tsunami gates.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/13/fudai-japan-tsunami-_n_861534.html