Monday 8 October 2012

Rain and "physical" day.

Typhoon season mixed with taiku no hi - poorly translated as physical day, as in the public holiday to celebrate physical exercise - equals teru teru bozu (little "shine shine monks" that look like a cross between a C grade horror movie and C grade Christmas decorations).  They're quite cute actually, and made as charms to keep away the rain - often for school sports events.    I was out in Ochanomizu the other night and stumbled across some in the main street next to the station.  
I was holding my umbrella, everyone else was holding umbrellas....cute they may be, but I am not convinced of their efficacy.




3 comments:

Rurousha said...

Cute! ^^ I sometimes see little handmade ones in this neighbourhood. I just hope they're not successful in stopping the rain, at least not yet, because it really was a very long, very dry summer!

SomedaysSarah said...

Colourful!

I once asked my host mother about teru teru bozu, because I had never seen them except in the rain. She laughed and told me they weren't actually strong enough to STOP the rain... Not that that stops kids from making them (especially when it looks like rain for sports day)!

Cecilia said...

The azaleas here still aren't making a comeback yet... It's going to pretty bare next golden week...

Good to know they aren't failures, they're just imperfect encouragers :)