Tuesday 5 January 2010

Is that any way to speak to your dear nephew?

Sometimes I lament being the main English language influence on people.... Occasionally when Hiro speaks I hear myself speaking back at me. In Thailand students picked up my quirks much more quickly than they picked up useful expressions. 
Hearing students telling me that they 'appreciate that they need to develop internal motivation',  that various things were 'shocking', that they need to 'facilitate their language acquistion'...

I wasn't expecting it with my sophisticatedly eloquent nieces and nephews.... This morning when I told Rory, 7 years old,  to hurry up and stop complaining on the way to the station (there was a plane to catch)  he looked at me and said 'is that anyway to speak to your dear nephew'....

No doubt I deserved it...

No comments: