Sunday 5 February 2012

Kagetsu karintou

Sazare
Hiro's birthday and a regrettable lack of imagination gave a perfect excuse to venture yet again to the back strees of Ueno-Hirokoji to Kagetsu,  one of my two favourite (to date) karintou shops in Tokyo.  Karinto is like a kind of rice cracker I guess, usually sweet.  It's a fail proof gift for Hiro - his favourite, sazare  -   a word which always reminds me of  arare  (dry sleet) and mizore (dry sleet) .(Before coming to Japan it had never occured to me that there would be a need to distinguish between the two.)   I am not actually sure what sazare means though.  The sazare (picture from their home page) is wrapped in yellow washi.  The packaging alone makes me want to buy it.
                                                                     
Kagetsu shopfront
Sazare



4 comments:

Rurousha said...

Hiro's birthday? He's Aquarius? Really? So am I! You're surrounded, Cecilia, you might as well surrender. :D

I'm glad I haven't done that Book Off walk yet, because I definitely want to pop into this store on my way to Akihabara. Thanks for this suggestion!

Cecilia said...

Happy Birthday!

It's shut on a Sun. & public hols so make it a Sat walk (but not next Sat) - they have a calendar on their website.

There's a yakikarintou shop in Yanaka shotengai that's also very good. :)
http://www.yakikarinto.jp/

Rurousha said...

OK, so now I have to walk from Asakusa via Yanaka to Ueno-Hirokoji and then to Akihabara, and then I might as well continue to Jinbocho, and then Maruzen in Marunouchi isn't too far, hmmm ... :D

Cecilia said...

Sounds like a great day!