Friday 28 October 2011

What good luck - or perhaps good karma...


I've been lamenting the increase in littering lately.  Behind the old pachinko parlor where I often park in a grey zone of legality it has been getting very very dirty.   So working on the assumption that I can't complain about the grottiness if I don't make active efforts to improve it, I took a pair of  gunte  - litterally army gloves but there actually coarse woven cotton gloves that are cheap enough to be disposable if need be -  to the station with a garbage bag this morning to clean up the area.  And if I do say so myself, it looked much better.

Fast forward to this evening.

Hiro & I caught the same train home.  Often he calls as he finishes work, if I am still in the uni library I can make the same train as he does quite easily.  Carriage 4.   When we arrived I showed him the improvement in the appearance of the area.  By chance the local govt. had been out tagging bikes for removal, which was actually quite reasonable since it seems like some have been dumped there, and bike infringement notices had been carelessly dropped, like  losing betting slips on race day.  I picked them up & left them in the garbage bag from the morning....

Fast forward 20 mins...

Wandering around the supermarket to find something to go with the morning's soba noodles....the checkout....AAAAARGHGHGHHHHH my wallet.  I had it as I came out of the subway.  Gone...  Only yesterday I had had a clear sensation that this would be the first time ever I would wear a wallet out before losing it....  Aaaarghhhhh.... back to the station... look... look... back to the rubbish bag.... back to the bike parking area - quite dark.... arrrghh.... Hiro not very impressed.... understandable since I lose things so often it might be considered a hobby rather than a habit..... to the subway ... nothing.... back to the bikes.... the rubbish bags....arrghh... the police box....aaarghhhh

Hiro calmly fills out the form.... $250 dollars (thank goodness I paid the phone bill yesterday... what a pity I didn't extend my commuter pass today as I'd planned)  1 credit card (hoping my Australian one isn't there...), 1 ATM card, (hoping my Australian one isn't there....) 1 train pass (phew I registered it) I foreigners card (thank goodness they are still being processed at the local office), 1 student card, (can't get into the library without it....) 1 staff card (is that a sackable offence?)   the plethora of supermarket and electronic store loyalty cards aren't important enough to go on the policeman's list (lucky experience has guided me to always use the points rather than save them....).  The policeman tells Hiro to write on the form he is filling in that it's proxy because I can't "do" Japanese...I ask Hiro to fill out because I can't write kanji neatly... I didn't check  to see what he wrote... 

Home via the places we've been.  Nothing at the bike stand area.  Toss the leaves with my shoe.. karma... please ....St Anthony..... arrghhhh.....  Payback for  being sanctimonious about littering?  arghhh.... Hiro marvels at the irony of dropping a wallet while being indignant about littering....

Walked the length and back. Asked a girl talking on a mobile phone if she'd seen it.  No....she'd just arrived...

arghhh...

One last kick of the leaves.....YATTTAAAAAAAA..... found it... still there,, in the shadowed part of the shadows, behind a witches hat (triange shaped road marker thing).... oh my goodness... what a relief.... 

Home two hours later than anticipated but I'll sleep well tonight, once the adrenalin stops...

3 comments:

The Purple Room said...

Wow! Glad you found it:)

Cecilia said...

Thank you!
It was a very stressful evening...

Chrysanthemummum said...

Wow, so glad you found your walllet!